What neurologists, epilepsy nurses, and epileptologists should do
- Ensure that all women are provided with information about epilepsy and reproduction from the earliest stages of their diagnosis
- Ensure that rapid access is available for epilepsy review for anyone planning pregnancy, at any stage in pregnancy, and in the immediate post-partum period.
- Provide individualised assessment of risk of drug continuation and drug withdrawal in pregnancy
- Communicate using patient-held pregnancy notes
- At each encounter with a woman of reproductive age taking AEDs, there are major questions to address:
- Is the diagnosis of epilepsy secure?
- Is current treatment effective?
- Is it possible to reduce dose or number of AEDs?
- If valproate is being used, is it possible to withdraw valproate or reduce daily dose?