What obstetricians and midwives should do
- Ensure that all pregnant women with epilepsy are directed towards specialist epilepsy services at the first opportunity
- Ensure that a plan is in place for action if seizures occur during delivery
- Where patients are seizure free – epilepsy expert advice should be sought to establish which dosing regime is most appropriate
- Where seizures continue – epilepsy expert advice should be sought to discuss treatment change and action should be considered to improve epilepsy control
- When discharge is planned after delivery, ensure that follow up is arranged in the next month with telephone or clinic contact. Discussion should include reinforcement of the benefits of breastfeeding.